Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
How do you choose which stocks to liquidate or reduce in order to meet my RMD, or which to sell in my taxable accounts.

I have Income Investor stocks I want to hold (although some are below purchase price) and I just bought some AI and Crypto recommendations that I also want to keep. That leaves stocks from services such as Million Dollar Portfolio and Rule Breakers that are candidates.

Some of those are showing very nice gains (a few over 10X) and very few show small losses.

Any ideas on which to choose? Anything you can suggest I consider as I make my choices? Is there any advice on an approach to take in order to make my choices?
Print the post Back To Top
It is important to understand: the RMD is a tax event, not a cash flow event. If you do not require the cash from an RMD, then simply transfer to a taxable account In-Kind the number of shares of a stock or mutual fund whose value equals at least the amount of your RMD.

BruceM
Have been thinking about this same issue. Realize anything I move with RMD is a taxable event that can't be avoided, but how to select which holding is transferred first. I've been considering moving those assets that don't pay dividends first. My reasoning is to let dividend payers continue to accumulate for as long as possible without a taxing event.

Would be interested feed back and thoughts.

in2b8er