Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
First off, thanks to maszke for creating this new board. This board is ideal for me - a budding FIRE wannabe, who is in the process of LBMM and learning and absorbing all I can about how to FIRE.

There was a couple of interesting threads about FIRE thru Real Estate Investing. I was one of those who had drunk the "Hi-Tech/Dot Com KoolAid" and pretty much lost everything in the stock market crash - I barely have my shirt on :)

Diversification, e-fund, cash buffer has become my mantra now. I am beginning to realize that Real Estate investing - if done well and right - could significantly aid in FIRE.

I have a couple of questions for the real estate investing experts on this board:

1). Can you provide a roadmap for a newbie real estate investor - how to go about doing this ? what books to read ?
How to go about appraising and deciding on property to buy ? Lessons learnt .. tips and traps ..

2). I am looking at leveraging some of these skills, in buying real estate in a different country. ( My FIRE goal is to live live 6 months in the US and 6 months in India - where I am originally from. )
Do any of you have experience in buying and managing real estate in different countries. I know Location, Location, Location is the main criteria of real estate investing, but what other things should one keep in mind when planning to buy real estate in a different country. What rules or skills still hold true and what just doesn't hold water ?

3). Do you have any kind of checklist or rate of return models that you follow and works well for you ?

4). What is the best and low risk way to start ?

Thanks
blorefool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.