Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Rob, I see only two -- the stock and the unit. You see another?

I am seeing SPACs pop up. Historically they're terrible vehicles, but maybe a legit one is out there? Bill Spacman's perhaps?

Foley is definitely highly regarded as an investor, and I'm sure the performance at CNNE (nee FNFV) helped get even more exposure and plaudits. FNF, of course, has been an enormous winner over time, and ostensibly is cheap now, what with the craze in the home market, buyers, refis, etc.

Jim
Print the post Back To Top
Rob, I see only two -- the stock and the unit. You see another?

I am seeing SPACs pop up. Historically they're terrible vehicles, but maybe a legit one is out there? Bill Spacman's perhaps?

Foley is definitely highly regarded as an investor, and I'm sure the performance at CNNE (nee FNFV) helped get even more exposure and plaudits. FNF, of course, has been an enormous winner over time, and ostensibly is cheap now, what with the craze in the home market, buyers, refis, etc.

Jim
I see, at Seeking Alpha:
(searching for "foley" to cause companies & tickers to display)

WPFU
BFT
BFTU
A-ha! They didn't really pop up on Y! Well, yes, it looks like a little self-dealing, at least to the extent of getting CNNE to buy shares. Hmmmm... This seems quite unusual. I don't know what to think yet.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cannae-holdings-inc-announces...

Jim
If I recall correctly, ROIC started out as a SPAC, and it has turned out okay as a REIT.

David
Long REIT
Interesting... I didn't recall that one. Thanks for the reminder. There have been some real dogs.

Jim
Virgin Galactic and Nikola both came to market via successful SPACs, although I don't know about either of these as good long term investments. I held Social Capital Hedosophia shares for a number of months prior to them bringing Virgin Galactic to market but got impatient and sold. I think Chamath Palihapitiya, head of Social Capital, seems to know what he's doing, not that that's any kind of guarantee!

IPOA, Social Capital's first SPAC, that resulted in SPACE coming to market returned a little over 16% in about 25 months, not spectacular but not terrible. Of course if you held on to the SPACE shares IPOA owners received in the deal, you would be up quite a bit more now.

David