Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Last year I rolled over an old previous employer 401K started in about 1980. The first couple of years the contributions were after-tax dollars. In about 1984 the option to contribute with pre-tax dollars became available and I changed over. The after-tax portion was shown separately on my statements.

So when I did the roll-over, the pre-tax portion went into a traditional IRA and the after-tax portion (only the contributions, not the earnings on the after-tax part) went into a Roth IRA.

The question to ask is, did you make after-tax contibutions at some point? If so then go Roth IRA.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.