No. of Recommendations: 0
Rob --

Of course, you are right. I was speaking solely from my own point of view, but clearly many others find value for exactly that reason, and the service would have ceased to exist long ago if that were not the case.

The other reason it makes sense is the educational value. The choices can be bewildering to some investors, and I think they benefit from seeing how a portfolio can be built and managed, and the considerations that go into that.

One thing about MDP that I think is really good is the fact that the number of holdings is relatively small. I think that mirrors the situation of a lot of investors in the earlier stages of their careers, so it's very instructive. And anything that teaches patience and discipline, which seems to be characteristic of the service, is tremendously helpful in getting started.

Yeah -- my point was just about why I wasn't planning to go forward with it, but I didn't mean to discourage others who could benefit by seeing a portfolio approach that could serve them well into the future.

My subscription to MDP is good into October, and even though I don't think I'll continue with it, I'm considering getting on the boards from now until then just to see if I can contribute something to the community. Why not take advantage of the opportunity?

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.