Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Just e-filed my taxes and lo and behold they upped the price for Federal from 15.95 o 17.95..but the real kicker is the state was always less like 9.95...not this year...17.95 for state!!!

For the state I live in (VA) the tax form is not that complex other than a 529 adjustment it is nothing more than a copy of federal

As technology progresses it should actually cost less to submit, not more even with more complex encryption.

I realize if I had an accountant I would pay much more, but to efile to the govt shouldn't cost a thing OR that the fee should come from your refund without applicable sales tax

Just grumbling...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Just e-filed my taxes and lo and behold they upped the price for Federal from 15.95 o 17.95..

I'm sure you already know this but others may not. More and more companies will let you e-file (federal) for free if your AGI in under a certain amount-for most places it's $54,000. There is more information here:
http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

Sandy
Just grumbling...

You could have printed the returns and mailed them.

Debra
No. of Recommendations: 3
I know this is too little too late, but this is the link to the VA iFile system, which is completely free: https://www.individual.tax.virginia.gov/IndLogin.jhtml;$sessionid$ZWK1HB2ZPOSPLLAUFNNR2SA

You paid for the convenience of being able to use TurboTax to import all the info from your federal return into your state return. It probably saved you an 30-90 minutes depending on the complexity of your return. It's up to you whether that time is worth $17.95
More and more companies will let you e-file (federal) for free if your AGI in under a certain amount-for most places it's $54,000.

Which probably explains why the price is going up for the rest of us.
No. of Recommendations: 3
You paid for the convenience of being able to use TurboTax to import all the info from your federal return into your state return. It probably saved you an 30-90 minutes depending on the complexity of your return. It's up to you whether that time is worth $17.95

No, the OP already paid for the state version of TurboTax, and that includes moving the information from the federal to the state form.

The $17.95 is an additional charge to file the taxes electronically. That has nothing whatsoever to do with putting the actual return together.

I use TT for my taxes, but I don't pay for the electronic filing. I mail the returns instead, but I have a return for DH and me, and a return for each of the kids, so the costs for electronic filing start to add up fast, and the convenience level is not worth the added expense to me.

I do realize that it is worthwhile for other folks, but that doesn't mean it is worthwhile for everyone.
I do realize that it is worthwhile for other folks, but that doesn't mean it is worthwhile for everyone.

When one efiling was free, I used to use it for the kid getting the biggest refund. I don't know if it's still true but the last time I had one free efiling with TT, there was something in our return that excluded us from being able to efile and things have only gotten more complicated.

Efiling seems to make it easier for the taxpayer and the IRS. There's no chance I'm paying to file my tax return. The total tax bill this year could pay one of their GS-11s.

rad
The only benefit I see from e-filing is knowing for certain the IRS received the return. So far as quicker refunds, I usually file by mail in the 1st week of Feb. and have my refund in less than 3 weeks via direct deposit. No way I could justify paying to e-file just to save a week or 10 days. But then I'm not stupid enough to take a refund anticipation loan either, but a lot of people are.
The only benefit I see from e-filing is knowing for certain the IRS received the return

That's the main reason I e-file. I just don't trust the USPS to deliver something as important as my tax return. The IRS seems to have no sense of humor when it comes to late returns. It's all a matter of personal preference. I qualify to e-file for free for the first time this year but still used Turbo Tax because I am familiar and comfortable with their methods. My simple return would take me much longer to prepare myself as compared to the software of TT. It only cost me $11 this year because of a discount through T. Rowe Price. I'm sure some will say that is a waste of money but to me the saved time is worth it. IMHO

Sandy
I agree Sandy,

the mailman cannot get our streets mail in order, we are constantly exchanging mail (good way to meet neighbors though) no way am I trusting them with my tax form.

The point is that 'mailing them' will eventually go the way of the dodo bird. At some point filing your taxes for effective costs and advances of technology will be done only by electronic means.

It is more of a gripe from Intuit than the process. i just don't see how a state return can cost as much as the federal (unless you are of the bloated states tax laws like NY)
I agree Sandy,

I think you are the first person to ever agree with anything I've posted. :-)

You're my new best friend.

Sandy

Until the first time you disagree with me!!!!!???

Sandy
The TT discount from T. Rowe Price....Is that the full basic version or can you file rental / business forms too? Does it import from the previous year or is that a manual entry method?Is it online only or can you download the program to your desktop?

MZ4
the mailman cannot get our streets mail in order, we are constantly exchanging mail (good way to meet neighbors though) no way am I trusting them with my tax form.

I sometimes get the mail intended for my next door neighbor. My street is only one block long and the 9-digit zip code is the same for all the houses on the block, and it is used by no other block. So if the address were illegible, the zip code would get the mail to the correct block.

However, I live on Parker Place, but I frequently get mail for Sickles Place, several blocks away.

My zip code is 07702. There is a Barker Avenue in the next town, zip code 07724. I frequently get mail for them. Barker Avenue 07724 is not that cloce to Parker Place 07702. In fact, the mail for my town is distributed from the post office in 07701, and the one for Barker avenue is delivered from 07724. Why have zip codes if the post office does not go by them?

The zip codes for the mis-delivered mails all have the correct zip codes on them. Sometimes they are even correct in the bar-code on the envelope, but sometimes they are wrong. I assume they shout the name of the street and the deaf keyboard operator mishears both the town and the street.
I pay $16.95 total for federal and state returns, efiling and evening included. I also find that if I have a technical issue or question about how they calculated a line on a tax form, their support has been far superior from that which I received when I was with one of the 'big guys'.

If you're willing to do your taxes online and use TaxAct, you can do it all for less than your current state efile fee alone. Looks like only $3 more the downloadable version.

Just saying that you weren't robbed, you had a choice. Next year, vote with your wallet.
The TT discount from T. Rowe Price....Is that the full basic version or can you file rental / business forms too? Does it import from the previous year or is that a manual entry method?Is it online only or can you download the program to your desktop?

MZ4

So many questions for my simple mind. I'll answer the ones I can.

1.The TT discount from T. Rowe Price....Is that the full basic version or can you file rental / business forms too?

I'm pretty sure it's the full basic version. It's all I've ever needed. I don't know about the rental/business forms but I would assume this version would include those.

2, Does it import from the previous year or is that a manual entry method?

It imported all of the information about me from last year's return. I'm not sure if the option to manually input information to forms is available; at least I never could find it.

3. Is it online only or can you download the program to your desktop?

I believe it's only online.

As with other software programs you can get in there and play around with it to see if it fits your needs with no obligation to pay until you actually file. To get the discount all you need is a T. Rowe Price account. It might be worth your time to check it out. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Sandy

Sandy

If you click on the smiley face next to jtsheldon's name, you can make that official.

Vickifool
Another vote for TaxAct online. Pretty quick & painless for me (granted, I don't have very complicated taxes, either) & my wife. I appreciate how it remembered the addresses of our W2's and 1099s from last year, so I just had to plug in updated amounts.

I like the site - it's easy to use, and the price is right.