Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Rocannon,

"So you had a cash cushion of about a year, and what if the market had not recovered but had slumped for say another 5 years? 10 years? This is what concerns him."

Not exactly ...

In June 2007, I made a sale and topped-off our 3 year cash cushion. In October 2010, we had about 1 year of cash left and I made the first sale since 2007 to start replenishing the cushion back to 3 years of planned expenses.

I did take the dividends from our joint account. That was about 10% of our dividends with the bulk being in our IRA's. Did not want to take money from the IRA's because of the 10% penalties and did not want to mess with 72t schedules or other things.

A number of sources recommend a 3 to 5 year cash cushion of actual cash or part cash and near cash. Near cash can be bonds. Bond funds can be used for the last year or 2 of a five year cushion but they are susceptible to capital loss during a down-turn.

I agree with AJ that this seems to be a plan on a shoestring. When we retired, I made a bullet-proof plan and ran it across every planning guide I could. I did want to have my wife and I out trying to pickup jobs for grocery money.

Does that help you?

Gene
All holdings and some stats on my profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.