Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Rockleppard, thanks for bringing this company to my attention. I did decide to open a small position last week and so far am pretty pleased with the performance of the stock. As I usually do with trial-sized positions, before deciding to make them a "real" position in my port, I'm attempting to learn more about Magnite specifically and the programmatic ad business generally. TTD has gradually moved up to the #2 spot in my port over the last 2 years, so I already know a little bit about how programmatic ads work. Mostly I know that whatever TTD is providing is in demand!

A question for you, since you seem to be the main Magnite prophet on this board: I have read Tom Gardner's opinion that growth potentially for a company focusing on the sell-side is substantially smaller (he suggested about one-tenth the size) than the potential size of a company on the buy-side, which is of course the sandbox Trade Desk plays in and seems to be taking over. Their respective market caps right now are approximately $2B for Magnite vs. $40B for Trade Desk.

Is this simply because the number of publishers and the space for the advertising they could potentially host is smaller than all of the businesses and brands who could potentially want to advertise? (That is, that long-term there will be more demand for ads than there is space to host them? That sort of makes intuitive sense to me. Or do you have a different opinion about the TAM in this space?

Again, thanks.

BC
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.