Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Colorado Friends,
How long does it take to drive from Granby on the west edge of Rocky Mountain NP to Grand Junction? Is 4 hours about right? My map shows a gravel road from Kremmling to State Bridge which will knock off 40 miles. Is this road in decent shape or should I stick to highway 9? I live in Arkansas, so I'm no stranger to gravel roads, but it needs to be passable by a mini-van. We will be there in late May.
Thanks for your help. Rich
Print the post Back To Top
I don't know if you have figured out your route or not, but it might actually be quicker in your mini-van to go south from Granby on highway 40 to I-70 and then take 70 west. Might take 30-45 minutes to get to I-70, and another 3 hrs./3.25 hrs from there. Also, here's another tip: Don't speed in Glenwood Canyon. The 50 mph speed limit through there is agonizing, but it's worth it when you don't get the ticket.

Why are you going to Grand Junction? I spent 18 years growing up trying to get out of that town.

The Wizard
*Has news for the Colorado Fools*
*Will tell y'all later*
*See, I learnt some Texsun*
The Wizard
*Has news for the Colorado Fools*
*Will tell y'all later*
*See, I learnt some Texsun*

~~~
Ya had enuf a Texas? Comin' back ta CU?

Seymore...
<<www.alsospeaksslang.pl/ofsumsort/>>

No. of Recommendations: 1
Ya had enuf a Texas? Comin' back ta CU?

-------

I wouldn't be caught dead on the campus of CU. I have, however, had enough of Texas and just might be heading back here real, real soon.

The Wizard
*Proud to be, a CSU Ram!*
The Wizard
*Proud to be, a CSU Ram!*

~~~
OK... I meant CSU... Yea, I did!!!

Seymore...
<<www.correctingmyself.pl>>

OK... I meant CSU... Yea, I did!!!

--------------

That's better.

The Wizard
No. of Recommendations: 2
And what is wrong with CU??
And what is wrong with CU??

---------

I went to CSU. That's enough reason for me.

The Wizard
Hi Rich,

Nice time to visit Colorado. I just wanted to check how you are planning to get to Granby. Trailridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park will still be closed, especially if the snow keeps falling! People not living in Colorado don't know that some roads close in the winter so I just wanted to check so you don't ruin your vacation.

Barbara

Trailridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park will still be closed, especially if the snow keeps falling!

The original poster indicated "late May". Does RMNP open after Memorial Day? I hope so. I may be heading through there during the 1st or 2nd weeks of June.

Just checking...

Duck!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Officially, RMNP opens Trail Ridge road on Memorial Day weekend. I didn't see anything up there about changes to that date, but an earlier post was correct, we're still receiving some snow up there...so they could delay it. Honestly, though, I don't forsee snowfall into the first couple of weeks of June, so you should be fine. Keep checking here: http://www.nps.gov/romo/ for more info.
-C.
We plan on traveling through RMNP on Memorial Day. I was under the
impression that Trail Ridge Road would be open by that weekend. Can anyone offer any insight into that? Thanks Rich
They try to open it for Memorial Day, but if we get a late snow or if it snows hard after it's open things can change. Remember it's cold and windy up there, so bring along jackets.
Check the front page of the Rocky Mountain News. It should be open this friday the 23rd.

Volucris