Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have recently left a job where they provided a defined benifit plan that was solely funded by the employer. I am now self employed. I was vested in the plan and have somwhere over $5,000 in equity. The only reson I know it's over $5,000 is that they would have sent me a check if it was under the 5k. The plan manager (Principal Finance) says they can roll it over to a Keogh plan. However they cannot calculate the equity amount until I move it.(?) I am interested in a self directed retirement plan and would like to have full discretion of investments. TMF Karen is not sure the Keogh will qualify. She suggested I post here. Any advice on how to go?

Thank you, Vic
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.