Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello Fools,

I was referred to this board for a tax question. Thanks in advance for your help!

If I want to roll my Traditional IRA (which came from a rolled-over 401k) into a ROTH IRA, how do I report this on my taxes? Will the amount be considered gross income for that tax year and be taxed at my marginal federal tax rate, potentially kicking me into a higher tax bracket?

Also, will the pre-tax contributions that I and my employer have made into the account (from the 401k days) be taxed at a different % than the interest earned over the years? Is that interest considered long-term capital gains? OR is the entire amount that I rollover considered simply ordinary income?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.