Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
1. I've read that a "Taxpayers" AGI must be less than $100k to allow a rollover from an existing IRA into a Roth IRA. Elsewhere there are specific references to single and joint filer limits, on rollovers I've only seen the $100k limit. Is the limit the same for Joint & Single filers, or can joint filers have a higher AGI and still take advantage of the ability to roll existing IRAs into a Roth IRA?

2. Can the taxes due on a rollover from a regular IRA to a Roth IRA be paid from the distribution without penalty? In other words, can you take your $10,000 IRA distribution, pay $2,800 in taxes and then establish a Roth IRA with the remaining $7,200 with no early distribution penalty? Does the answer to this question differ if there is enough non-deductable basis in the current IRA to cover the taxes?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.