Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I posted here earlier that DH's new job would have Fidelity as the custodian just like his last job. Turns out, that was wrong - they just offer a Fidelity fund in the choices and that was the "sample prospectus" they gave him.

The custodian has a horrible choice of funds - generic index funds (S&P 500, another Large Cap, and a Small cap) without ticker symbols and a bunch of load funds. So, we will NOT be rolling his previous 401k into this plan.

That said, I have a question. His previous plan is managed by Fidelity and includes the Dodge & Cox Stock fund, which is now closed to new investors. I really like the fund (I have it in my 401k as well) and this would allow us to roll the whole $58k to Dodge & Cox directly if we wanted. Alternatively, we just opened ROTHs with Vanguard and obviously don't have either the $5k in each nor the $50k total to avoid fees.

My concern is that his previous employer might change custodians again and we'd lose access to the D&C fund. (With our AGI, we can't increase contributions to the TIRA no matter where it's located. MAGI also too high to convert to ROTH right now.)

So, I'm trying to decide whether to
1) leave it as is for now, but watch for changes (I guess it's possible that the fees the 401k is charging are less than the annual $12.50 to D&C)
2) roll the entire balance to Dodge & Cox to lock in access to the stock fund, but the account would have an annual fee of $12.50 no matter the balance
3) roll it over to Vanguard, losing access to the D&C fund, but getting rid of the fees for his account.

We're still 14-15 years from retirement, so I'm not really worried that all his existing retirement money would be in the D&C fund if we went that way. We've got plenty of time to diversify into other funds and my 401k is only 30% in D&C.

So, what do you all think? Is the fund good enough to support the extra fees? Or, should I just roll it to Vanguard index funds?

TIA
3MM
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.