Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is there a maximum amount that can be rolled over from a 401(k) into an exisitng IRA once I leave my job? Also, once the 401(k) is rolled over will I still be able to contribute to my IRA for the year?
Print the post Back To Top
s there a maximum amount that can be rolled over from a 401(k) into an exisitng IRA once I leave
my job? Also, once the 401(k) is rolled over will I still be able to contribute to my IRA for the
year?

Hi Paul, I am not a true TMF Guide, just earning my keep as a fellow questioner here! Someone else needs to verify about rolling into existing IRA, but I don't think there is a limit. And YES, you can still contribute another 2K to your own IRA for this year from this year's earned income. You can also contribute another 2K to a spouse's IRA if you have at least 4K earned income between you, even if spouse is unemployed. Get confirmation from someone here. I"m just trying to help out. meowiz
There is no maximum amount or limit on rolling over from a 401(k) to an IRA. However, typically, people DO NOT rollover their 401(k) monies into an "existing" IRA; instead one should create a seperate Rollover or Conduit IRA account. The reason for this is to keep the monies segregated, e.g. if rollover monies are co-mingled with contributory IRA monies then, at a later date, should you become employed by a new employer who has a 401(k) plan, the co-mingled monies can not rolled into the new plan; whereas the original 401(k) monies, if kept segregated can be rolled into the new plan.

A rollover from your 401(k) plan to a coonduit IRA, is unrelated to your ability to make IRA contributions, of any type, in the current year.

Paul5873 asks:

<<Is there a maximum amount that can be rolled over from a 401(k) into an exisitng IRA once I leave my job? Also, once the 401(k) is rolled over will I still be able to contribute to my IRA for the year?>>

You may transfer an unlimited amount of money from an employer's qualified retirement plan like a 401k to an IRA. That transfer has no effect on your ability to make your annual IRA contribution of up to $2K for that year, either. As TheBadger pointed out, though, you may want to use a new rather than an existing IRA for this purpose. Doing so will preserve your ability to later transfer that rollover money plus any of its earnings to a new employer's 401k plan that accepts money from an old employer's plan. For details, see my discussion of "conduit" IRAs in my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at http://www.fool.com/Retirement/Retirement.htm .

Regards….Pixy