Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My mother retired early this year, and has $6500 earned income and will have about $6500 investment income. This places her in the 15% bracket. I am thinking of advising her to rollover $40k in dedctible IRA's to Roths, which will add $10k to her income for 4 years. As long as her investment income stays within $15k for the next 3 years, which it will, she will pay 15% in taxes on the rolled over funds. She has enough in other IRA and non-IRA investments to probably place her in a higher tax bracket in her lifetime. So this is a strategy to reduce some of her tax burden, and to give her better withdrawal options from IRA's.

Is this a sound strategy? With the drop in the market, the current value of the rollover candidates are lower, making it an attractive option right now. I haven't come up with any big negatives. My mother does have enough cash flow to support the additional tax burden or estimated payments. I would welcome comments, especially supportive. :-)

Thanks,
ASimpatico
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.