Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all. I've diligently searched previous posts for my answer but I still have questions, specific to my case.

I'm 26. I left a company a year ago, and just recently received communication from the third party administrator of the profit-sharing plan for this company. I have $5,000 vested. I had thought a 401k and a profit sharing plan was synonymous but I might have been wrong all along.

My current company does not have any 401K plan, though tentatively might have one this January.

My questions are:

1. If I choose to cash out, I will get taxed a total of 30%, yes? Meaning I would only get a check for only $3,500?

2. I'm thinking that since the amount is small, I'd be better off cashing out. I can use the funds to pay off some debts and pay off next semester for my college. Would this be prudent judgment or should I instead take the view that any amount is good to get me started on a retirement plan, therefore I should roll the funds over?

Thanks in advance!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.