Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a SAR-SEP plan from my previous job with about $5k. I'm not eligible for the 401k at my current job until Jan. 2000. I will be participating as soon as I am eligible. So far in 1999, I haven't made any deductible contributions. My old plan is very un-Foolish and I just received notice that they are jacking up the fees. I want out. So, I was thinking of rolling my old plan over to an IRA and making the $2000 deductible contribution this year and then rolling over to a Roth IRA, because next year I won't be able to deduct traditional IRA contributions. I realize that I'll have to pay taxes on that rollover. Is that a good strategy or should I leave that money in the traditional IRA and open a new Roth IRA next year? Comments?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.