Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Ron: I am not Max, but I think the answers are

I left my job, I have 401K money, I want to roll it over to a Roth. Do I have to 1st make it a regular IRA Yes

and subject myself to the taxes No, if you do a trustee to trustee transfer, there will be no taxes due, otherwisw you company wll withhold 20% before paying to you and you would need to fund the 20% and roll 100% of the total to an IRA within sixty days, or you will owe taxes and possibly a 10% penalty.

Say I make 30,000 a year. I contribute 3,000 to a 401K. Do I pay taxes on 27,000 or 30,000? Most 401k contributions are made with pre-tax money, so barring something out of the ordinary, you would pay txes on 27k, subject to all of the other parts of the tax code.

Someone else can jump in if I am wrong. JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.