Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
So our rig is a '96' yeah, it's more than 20 years old. In that time I've had 4 roofs, mqyb3 5 depending on how you count. The first one started leaking after about 10 years. Rubber membrane, while we were on the road. I got some "self levelling goo" and it kept us dry for another 2 months until we got home. I had to deal with the stained ceiling panels (1/2x1/2 Clorox & water, dabbed carefully onto the tiles, with a drop cloth underneath because it drips and the rug would spot. Also eyewear and rubber gloves.) That was in the front half.

A few years later the back half went, same issues. I should'a done it all at once, but didn't. Oh well.

A couple years after that was THE ACCIDENT. I went under a bridge that was about 1/8" too low. Ouch. It was a curved arch and the taller air conditioning units made it, but at the outside edges the "luggage rack" on the back got caught and ripped away taking part of the roof with it. Luckily I was going about 3 mph so that damage was not extensive, just expensive. Insurance paid most of it.

So comes last year and the rubberized roof begins leaking again. Badly. Lost a couple cabinets, rug damage, mold, mildew because I neglected it when my medical problems started showing up again. Anyway, I took the RV in to the shop and they talked me into getting a Rhino Roof, from the same company that makes Rhino linings. About $1000 more, but lifetime warranty and supposedly better. I stopped in while they were doing it: they completely ripped off the old one, replaced the 3/8 ply with 1/2 or 9/16, I forget, then sprayed the whole thing. It's a different texture, and they bring it around the corner and meet the sides above the windows, but it looked great.

Three months later I had a leak: a sharp corner on one of the aluminum flashings had cut through it. OK, they fixed it. Three months later I had another leak. SAme issue, different flashing. Then came the big deal: major leakage in three places. (I don't always catch these timely because the rig is stored in a storage lot which I only get to once a month or so.)

Took it back; now my shop is in a dispute with Rhino; they've done 30, 5 have failed, some far worse than mine (consequential damages.) He's no longer doing Rhino roofs because the factory won't "help out" and everybody is pointing fingers. Well, my guy fixed it again, this time by coating the entire roof with PlastiKote. He's done this to the 5 failures and hasn't had any complaints, but it's a drag. I now have a roof that isn't intended to be a roof on top of a roof that failed, not to mention the other rubberized roofs that failed as well. Yikes.

If you have the opportunity to pay extra for a RhinoRoof, pass.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.