Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a 401(k) from a former Employer. I've been separated from that employer for almost 3 months now. They have notified me that I need to do anything with my 401(k) as of yet.

First, how long do I have before I HAVE to do something with this account? It has approx. $1500 in it--all mine, the employer had not yet begun putting in their share.

Second, HOW do I roll it over and do I have to roll it over with the same investment company that is handling the 401(k) or can I rollover to someone else--such as an online company?

I have no idea where to begin on this. Any advice is appreciated.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.