Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm torn tonight. I think the Bruins would have a very good series with either team. San Jose has the Thornton storyline. St. Louis has long history without a cup, in part due to the epic Orr goal.

I'd be inclined to want the series to wrap up, but … that doesn't start the cup series any sooner. So, I guess I'm rooting for 7 games, just to not have a long 'no hockey' lapse.
Print the post Back To Top
Just be quiet. We don't need 7 games. Six games is just fine. Six is a serious number.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Really, the SCF wouldn't start earlier if this series ends earlier?
Anyway, I'm rooting for Game 7 three OT's.
Who to win? At first I thought STL because I thought SJ was better. But then I see how bad Jones is in net so I think I'd like to see Jones vs. Rask.
I also like SJ.

"St. Louis has long history without a cup"
So does SJ!
If SJ won the Cup I'd feel bad for Marleau since he moved in order to hopefully get a Cup before he retires. But then why did he go to Toronto, LOL!

Rick
3 OT's
Zeus told me
The Blues and Bruins are both 'brawler' teams. If they play each other in the finals, it will be 'who can injure/cripple top players of the other team first'.
Go Vegas! (oh ya, i guess they already went)
I'd rather not play a brawler team. Also, the Bruins can be such, but too often are not. They win when they are. I wish they would play that way more.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I’m pulling for Blues for 2 reasons:

(1) my H-A-T-R-E-D of the Bruins!!!

(2) for what Stan Kroenke did to our friend RayGJAH and all the people of St Louis...
No. of Recommendations: 5
Whichever team wins between St. Louis and San Jose, I just hope one of them beats the living daylights out of Marchand. Hate that A hole.
It's funny how many people hate the Bruins. I guess it's because they are the best team. The best always get hated.
(2) for what Stan Kroenke did to our friend RayGJAH and all the people of St Louis...

No idea what this is about
I hope Marchand gets the winning goal in OT of game 4
I hope Marchand gets the winning goal in OT of game 4

If that happens, he will need to do a mock Orr styled 'dive'.
The best team has yet to be determined.
No. of Recommendations: 2
It's funny how many people hate the Bruins.

Lots of good reasons to dislike the Bruins.

Boston success in other sports. Individual players on the Bruins, or on past Bruins teams, that other teams very reasonably despise (Marchand, Chara, Horton, Lucic or S. Thornton). Homer announcers that do get a share of national attention (Edwards) and national announces that don't hide mask their Boston bias (Cherry, Millbury).
No. of Recommendations: 3
I guess it's because they are the best team.

No - it's because they have the worst fans.
Beyond stupid
"The best team has yet to be determined."

Sad to say, but the Cup winner isn't necessarily, and often is not, the best team.
There are many factors in winning that have little to do with talent
"Lots of good reasons to dislike the Bruins."

It's mostly jealousy.
It's mostly jealousy.

Is that why you dislike Washington?

I mean, sure, the Bruins have had some success in the past years. But not so much as to garner jealousy. The city of Boston overall, yes, but the Bruins, no.

They are a reasonably unlikeable team. Yes that is 80% or more Marchand, and for good reason. He would and does take pride in being unliked.
The Bruins do have 3 of the top 15 longest NHL suspensions, and 2 of the top 3.

Sure, 2 of them are …. not so recent (Eddie Shore - 16 games in 1933 and Billy Coutu, banned for life in 1927).

But, McSorley banned for a year in 2000 is well remembered.

And Lucic running Miller, and Chara posting Pacioretti and Shawn Thornton pounding Orpik while down and Marchand's multiple suspensions (one for a hit on a current teammate) and distasteful antics. Own the hatred. The team earned it. To deny it exists or say it is jealousy is …. Trumpian.
And …. how many other teams that you know have gone into the stands to fight the fans of another team? Beat them with a shoe for example?
Guys, guys guys. please learn the difference between jealousy and envy.

Jealousy is 'fear of losing something you have'. ie, my girlfriend is flirting with my neighbor.
Envy is 'desire of having something you don't have. ie, my neighbors girlfriend sure is cute.
(sorry, just a pet-peeve i have)

To deny it exists or say it is jealousy is …. Trumpian.
Obviously an uniformed statement in many ways.
"To deny it exists or say it is jealousy is …. Trumpian.
Obviously an uniformed statement in many ways."

Obviously.

"my girlfriend is flirting with my neighbor.
my neighbors girlfriend sure is cute."

Well, which is your situation? <grin>
Well, which is your situation? <grin>

I think the two (envy/jealousy) are different sides of the same coin, and why they are so often used/misused.
My situation??? i'll take the fifth. ho-ho.
national announces that don't hide mask their Boston bias (Cherry, Millbury).
Helical, YGBFKM. Milbury is not only the worst GM in the history of the sport, he is a terrible color man and he was a milquetoast referee-hiding phony tough guy when he played for Boston. He regularly trashes Bruins players who don't deserve his misguided phony tough guy yapping, overusing "marshmallow tough". I don't hear him being a Bruins fanboy, I hear the opposite - overcriticizing their plays to avoid that perception.

What is there to hate about Horton? Because he didn't get up fast enough when Rome tried to decapitate him at center ice in '11? His career basically ended that night.

Lucic and Thornton were the last of the tough guy Mohicans. All teams, even yours, had those dinosaurs.

Chara? Please.

Look, I get the "hate Boston because they've won everything" trope. But those of us who lived through the 1980-92 Patriots, the 92-07 Bruins, the 93-07 Celtics, and the 87-03 Red Sox, while the hated Yankees, Canadiens/Oilers/Red Wings, Lakers and *Cowboys* were winning everything will take every single one of these championship appearances, even if we have current teenagers who have seen more titles than their age.

Hockey is the best sport in the world, played by the toughest athletes in the world. Many of us crappy Bruins fans cheered - CHEERED - for the Rangers in 95 when Messier won the Cup for them - the RANGERS, whose animalistic "fans" were the ones that took a Bruins stick off the bench and hit players with it, causing the scariest and funniest fracas in NHL history in '79 - with the alleged fanboy Milbury pulling some drunk moron's shoe off and hitting him with it, while the real tough guy O'Reilly beat the snot out of the guy who was crazy enough to hit him with a stick.
Lucic and Thornton were the last of the tough guy Mohicans. All teams, even yours, had those dinosaurs.

Even mine?

I'm a Bruins fan. I live in MA. I just don't own blinders .... and like the banter with RB (which existed in other places in Fooldom before I started coming to this board).

It's sports. Drama and escapism and competition. I'm amused that it works people up so, but ... that is largely what is fun about it. I don't dislike the Bruins, but I don't deny that people have good reasons for doing so. Finding those reasons to dislike 'other teams' is part of the enjoyment of rooting for your own team. I dislike the Predators because their uniforms are F..ng ugly. That is enough.

I should have mentioned Terry O'Reilly. Shame on me. And yeah, Nathan Hornton was a big strong tough forward, but in his prime more in the Iginla mode than Lucic mold. Plenty didn't like Iginla for being the tough guy he was, until he was older and 'looking for his cup' and became a beloved 'old guy without a cup' story.
To deny it exists or say it is jealousy is …. Trumpian.

------------------
Obviously an uniformed statement in many ways.

But .. if I repeat constantly it becomes true and I can convince myself others think so too, right?
LOL, obviously new to the board I am.

I don't have blinders (well, maybe they're only partially transparent). If Marchand were on another team I would absolutely despise him and understand people who do. Kenny Linseman... Chris Nilan... but he's not at the psycho level of a Hunter, Samuelsson or Avery. (even though The Tongue was).

I dislike Columbus, Nashville, Florida and Phoenix because of dilution and NHL "product" instead of quality. However, the passion Columbus people showed for that team is great to see, so they're off the diss list.

I'm not sure how the Bruins got here with that young mostly noname crew below the second line. I'm glad they did, but completely surprised. It doesn't seem as quality or as deep as I remember the '11 or '13 teams... BWDIK. And the Blues I don't know anything about except spotty goaltending history.
obviously new to the board I am.

Welcome.

I'm not sure how the Bruins got here with that young mostly noname crew below the second line.

Deep defense and good goaltending. The former was needed as many players were hurt during the season, and they shrugged it off. Scoring isn't great, but a shut down defensive 4th line playing opposite other teams top scorers was unappreciated. Krecji carried a makeshift second line, but one that saw Debrusk emerge as a scorer. And, smart late season additions gave them necessary playoff depth.

the Blues I don't know anything about except spotty goaltending

Terrible first half of season. Rescued by the emergence of Binnington as a goaltender. Tarasenko would be great anywhere, but he is the only top 6 guy that I would say would be top 6 anywhere (vs 3 Bruins, maybe 4). O'Reilly is very good and unappreciated as a 2 way guy, but lots of teams have 2 top centers as good. Very solid defense. Playoffs are odd since Schwartz has been .... great. But ... he had fewer regular season goals than he has had in the playoffs and was the teams poorest +/- guy. If he was 3 years younger, I'd say he has emerged, but at 26 ... maybe, but more likely just a hot stretch from a good but not great player. I hope the latter.