Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
On 1-2-2020, my son enrolled in his Employer sponsored ROTH 401K plan. He's contributing 5% to obtain the Employer maximum match of 4%.

Today, I just read this brief summary of ROTH 401K plans, "Adding the word ROTH to your 401K plan means the money you contribute will be taxed up front, will grow tax-free, and can be withdrawn tax-free after age 59 1/2. ROTH 401K plans are sponsored by employers. If you receive an employer match on your ROTH 401K, the match is NOT tax-favored. That means the growth from your employer's match will be taxed when you withdraw your funds in retirement."

My question is: How is my son going to know what is growth from employer matched contributions that should BE taxed and what is growth from his employee's contributions that should NOT BE taxed? Somehow, I can see this being a snafu. If someone specifically knows how an employer & employee's contributions will all itemized separately over the next 20-30 years, please pass along that informational reassurance to me.

Gratefully,
Concerned Mom Apacherose
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.