Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a Roth IRA at Sharebuilder with individual stocks that I selected. I recently saw that there is a Roth 401K. I would like to contribute more than the $6,500 that is allowed per year. Sharebuilder will only let me have funds like ETF's with a Roth 401K. I only want individual stocks that I select. Had a no yield, or less, 12 year long experience with Ed Jones/Putnam so now I'm taking over the investing. I couldn't do any worse than they did. To make a short story long, my wife and I are self employed and work together. No employees. Is there a broker that will allow me to get a Roth 401K and buy the stocks I want? I think there is an income limit rule on this too but I don't know if that is the gross income of the company, after all deductions or what. I'm reading conflicting stories.
...or is there a better place to my money? Both of us are over 50 and just really starting to save for retirement. The accounts at Ed Jones only totaled about $8,000 so we are way behind.
Any help is much appreciated.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.