Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
2 questions please:

1) If I have a traditional IRA that contains both deductible and non-deductible contributions, can I convert just the non-deductible contributions to a Roth IRA and leave the earnings and the deductible contributions in the traditional IRA?

2) I want to put my 1997 contribution in a deductible IRA and then immediately convert it to a Roth IRA. I want to do the same thing with my 1998 contribution later on this year. Can I convert it into the same account as my 1997 conversion and am I violating any once-a-year rollover rules?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.