Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I converted part of an old TradIRA in Mar07 to a RothIRA.
It lost value by Dec07
I recharacterized the full amount of remaining value back to my TradIRA in Dec07

I received 2 1099R. One for the TradIRA, One for the RothIRA.

For the TradIRA 1099R, box 1 and 2 were both the full amount of the original conversion. Box 2 is taxable amount. I expected this to be $0. My broker suggested I will receive two form 5498 after May31,2008 and this should show the recharacterization and "cancel out" the 1099R. Does that make sense? I fear the IRS will expect an entry on line 15a of 1040 and taxes due on the conversion amount based on 1099R.

The 2nd 1099R for the Roth had $0 for box2.

I'd like to file before May 31. Does anyone know if box 2 (taxable amount) on my 1099R should be 0?

Does anyone know what forms/lines I should fill out to make my situation clear on my tax return? I fear just leaving 15a blank might cause problems.

Any insights will be appreciated. thanks,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.