No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi out there,

Can anyone help with these questions? Thanks!

If I convert my IRA to a Roth in 1998 I understand that I get to pay the tax on it over 4 years. But the question is, does the amount of the conversion get claimed as income over 4 years, or does the tax liability itself get divided by 4 years? In other words, if I convert $20000 of IRA funds to a Roth, do I claim $5000 of that per year as income, or do I have to claim the whole $20000 as income in 1998 and then pay the tax liability over the 4 years? The difference is the possibility that, if claimed in one year, it would push me into a higher tax bracket.

Also, does the WHOLE amount have to be claimed as income, or just the contribution amount and not the gains?

Thanks for any help.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.