No. of Recommendations: 0
Any idea how to calculate the price I'd have to pay
for the privilege of converting my non-deductible IRA
to a Roth? I know I get to spread it over 4 years. I
just want to know how bad it will hurt at the end of
the 4 years.

Some info (if it makes any difference): I opened it
2 years ago and contributed the full amount for
both '96 and '97. Part of it's in a mutual fund that
promptly lost 20% right after I bought it. The rest is
in money market. The net is there are no profits in
this account (unless you count the pittance from
the money market) and I've already paid taxes on
the contributions.

Is there some formula for figuring how much of
what's in the account is taxable? Or is the answer
basically "How much is in the account? Send it to us."

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.