Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Is there anywhere out there that you can figure this out easily?
I have turbo tax from last year...is that a good starting point?

I'll be on ACA in April next year and due to SS and dividends (and maybe conversions) probably won't be getting a subsidy.

thanks
nag
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Is there anywhere out there that you can figure this out easily?

In a general perspective, it's pretty easy - you will be charged taxes at your marginal rate(s) for your conversion. It's possible to push yourself into a higher marginal bracket with Roth conversions. But since you mention later that you are getting SS, if 85% of your SS isn't already being taxed, you will also end up with additional taxes on your SS.

I have turbo tax from last year...is that a good starting point?

If your income from 2020 is going to be similar to 2019's income (other than the conversions), then yes, that's a good starting point. Most tax software has a planning module that you can use, although I don't know specifically about TurboTax.

I'll be on ACA in April next year and due to SS and dividends (and maybe conversions) probably won't be getting a subsidy.

As mentioned above, if 85% of your SS is not already being taxed, your actual marginal rate will be significantly higher than your marginal tax bracket. If conversions are what pushes you above the 400% poverty level, the actual marginal rate on the conversion would be even higher.

In general, if your SS isn't going to be fully taxed, the time to do Roth conversions is before you start collecting SS. Doubly so when you are using ACA for insurance.

Is there a reason you are collecting SS early enough that you are still using ACA insurance, rather than Medicare? Roth conversions would be more effective from a cost perspective if you could wait to collect SS until you are also eligible for Medicare.

AJ
Print the post Back To Top