Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
On another board, someone asked about a Roth distribution. It was determined that the OP was over 59.5 and that the account had been opened more than 5 years ago. The distribution was pronounced to be tax-free and penalty-free; but then another poster added:

Don't forget it still needs to be recorded on that years tax form from F-8606, part III information. It's not taxed of course but IRS wants to keep track of its distributions.

Is that right? I've taken several qualified distributions from my Roth account in recent years, but I don't think I ever reported them. Hope I'm not in trouble!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.