Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey, Pixy. Could you share some of your Roth-smarts with me, please? Here's my deal.

I have a SEP-IRA. Currently it's invested in a pretty good mutual fund, but the fund is not doing as well as I could do if I used Sheard's Investing for Growth strategy -- I've got the primer and I'm itching to put it to work. I also have a 401k program at my corporation, now that I'm fulltime instead of self-employed (as I was when the SEP was set up). AND I have this SEP with a "full-service" broker who is anything BUT.

So I want to do three things:
(1) I want to turn my SEP into a Roth (and pay my taxes over four years, which I understand);
(2) I want to move my SEP-turned-into-a-Roth to my new online discount brokerage, getting it away from this useless "full-service" outfit; and
(3) I want to sell out of the mutual fund it's invested in and use IFG with my Roth IRA to get better growth.

My main question is this: Should I have my current "full-service" broker convert my SEP to a Roth for me before I move it to the online broker? -- Or should I move it as a SEP to the online broker first, and then do the conversion to Roth?

My secondary question is this: Once the IRA becomes a Roth, will there be any problem with me selling out of the mutual fund in which it's invested and start IFG-ing it?

Thanks for all your great input here on the boards!

-Perseid
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.