Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I contributed $1,500 to a Roth IRA for tax year 2000, and used the money to purchase some stock. I have just discovered that my income, due to the sale of property, is too high to contribute to a Roth IRA and must be withdrawn. The problem is that the price of the stock I purchased has dropped in half. Therefore, I do not want to have to liquidate the stock to get the 1,500 transferred out. Can I transfer the stock out in a like kind transaction into a regular account? If so how would that work with the value of the stock being much lower than the $1,500 I put in? If the value of the stock is now $750 would I have to sell double the amount of stock to come up with the $1,500 I invested, or would I just determine the current value of the shares I purchased with the $1,500 and withdraw its current value? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.