Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

Two years ago (2002) my wife and I opened up a Roth IRA and made 2002 contribution. Halfway through the year however we moved to South Africa for a two-year work contract. We earn a salary that is taxed by the South African government (so it should quality as earned income). We also claim the salary on our tax return, however we are able to claim a "foreign earned income exclusion" which allows us to not pay U.S. taxes on the income. For the 2003 tax year, we all of our earned income was made in South Africa.

We would like to make a 2003 contribution, but cannot quite tell if it is legal. Does anyone know the answer to this one, or a place I could go for the answer?

thank you,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.