Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0

Since you guys answered my last two questions so quickly and accurately, I'm going to press my luck and post another.

I work for a startup company, and like most, we have golden handcuffs (stock options).. Is it possible to buy my stock options, and put them into a Roth IRA, so that I do not have to pay capital gains on that stock when/if I sell it.

This is a private company, so I'm not sure how this works. Anybody know of any places which would allow this?

Thanks,

-Nic
Print the post Back To Top
Nic asks:

<<Since you guys answered my last two questions so quickly and accurately, I'm going to press my luck and post another.

I work for a startup company, and like most, we have golden handcuffs (stock options).. Is it possible to buy my stock options, and put them into a Roth IRA, so that I do not have to pay capital gains on that stock when/if I sell it.

This is a private company, so I'm not sure how this works. Anybody know of any places which would allow this?>>

No, you cannot transfer shares of stock to an Roth IRA unless they are part of a rollover from a traditional IRA. And no, you cannot put them into a traditional IRA unless they are part of a rollover from another traditional IRA or from an employer's qualified retirement plan. Bottom line: Unless you're transferring stocks from your employer's retirement plan (and you're not), you cannot use your stock options for this purpose.

Regards….Pixy
Sorry, this is prohibited as a "party-in-interest" transaction. Otherwise, all of us would contribute rapidly appreciating securities to our IRA's of various types.