Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am not sure this is the right message board, so please direct me to another board if appropriate. I have a ROTH IRA in the form of a CD in my credit union. It has just been sitting there for a few years and I finally decided to transfer it into my brokerage account with Etrade. They tell me they cannot transfer it "in kind" because it is a Roth CD, and that I must liquidate it, in order to transfer it into my Etrade account. It is about $6800. I am 64. Can someone tell me if this is correct - that they cannot transfer it as a Roth CD? And then if I have to liquidate it, I will have to pay income tax on it as ordinary income? Or what are my penalties for liquidating it early. By the way, the credit union does not charge me to liquidate it before it's CD maturity date -- I am just trying to figure out the tax consequences regarding early withdrawal and my age. Thanks!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.