Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I read the Roth IRA articles I - VI and I'm confused on the treatment of the distribution of a conversion with respect to the 10% penalty.

Say I contributed $ 2000 to my Roth IRA in year 1998. In year 2000 I converted $50,000 to my Roth IRA from a Traditional IRA and paid the appropriate taxes on the Traditional IRA distribution.

In year 2003 I'm age 63 and decide to distribute $52,000 from my Roth IRA. I understand that the first $2000 distributed is my contribution and will not be subject to tax or a 10% penalty.

Will the $50,000 conversion distibution be subject to the 10% penalty?

Roth IRA Article III seems to say that I meet the five year rule and will not incure the 10% penalty.

Roth IRA Article IV seems to say that I must look at the year of the conversion, in which case, I would not meet the 5 year rule and thus incur the 10% penalty.

Please help me understand these conversion rules.

Thanks, tennislau

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.