No. of Recommendations: 0
Lets assume for this "exercise" that the Foolish Four strategy returns 20% annually. Also that the Rule-Maker port will follow similar returns as it has in the past, same for indexes, etc. Over the long term (25-40years max), which would make more money?

Option A)
Roth IRA account, maxed out each year, following the F4 strategy in the Dow until 59.5yrs, which is 40 years exactly (I'm 20 yrs old). Also a balanced portfolio with annual contributions increasing as I graduate, but at least always matching the $2000 in the IRA. Split up as: 25% SPY&QQQ, 50% Rule Maker-style, and 25% Rule Breakeresque, risker ventures in small to mid-cap individual stocks. So for the next 2-3 years, $4000 invested each year, with large jumps in the years to follow going into the main port.

OR

Option B)
Not open the Roth IRA, and combine $2000 annually into the portfolio evenly, along with the annual contribution schedule outlined above.

I can't reach the conclusion if having more money together will create more compound interest faster, etc...or if I should split it up simply so that when I reach 59.5 (Hope I make it that far!) I've got quite a bit available tax-free.

Thanks for any enlightenment Fellow Fools!

Jacob
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.