Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I will be starting my first Roth IRA (for 1999) in the next week. While I understand the Foolish way to go is to buy individual stocks thru a discount broker, I don't feel comfortable enough to do this. Therefore, I have decided to invest in a mutual fund. My TSA plan is through Vanguard, and their fee structure is very low so I am inclined to send my money their way. However, the life insurance broker (I know - Red Flag!) would like me to use something from AIM (e.g. Weingarten) or Putnam (e.g. Voyager). Those Class A funds have a hefty 5% front-load which I will not use. However, the Class B funds are back-loaded. The aforementioned funds have done very well over the long-haul and even this year. Many of the Vanguard funds have not done well this year. The drawback to the Class B funds that I can see is that I would be locked into that particular fund or pay the penalty of the back-end load to move it.

Any thoughts on which direction to head? Also, if one moves money from one Class B fund to another in the same family, will the back-end load still kick in?

Thanks for the guidance in advance,
Brad
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.