No. of Recommendations: 0
This is the other side of the Roth IRA discussion.

I am working overseas on a 3 year contract & paid by local government. I'm over age 60 years and the majority of my US assets are in roll over IRAs from company pension plan.

Questions: Can I contribute to my Roth IRA with my non-us earnings? I thought earned income is earned income, but some fellow expats said no only US income counts. I expect to be under the $70,000 foreign income limit & will file and pay some Federal income tax. This country has no taxes.

Can I convert some of my conventional IRAs to Roth while overseas? Probably through a like kind exchange while market is down. I expect to be in a lower tax bracket now that when I return to the US. This looks to be the best stratigy as I will probably not be working in the US.


Thanks, & keep that oil price up!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.