Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, I am hoping someone here might have an answer to my question:
I want to open a Roth brokerage account, and pick the stocks myself to supplement my retirement along with my existing account. My existing brokerage account is taxable. I see the income limits are $198,000 to contribute to a Roth at the max $7000 level per year. I have a 457 plan through work and I contribute the max ( about 25% of my salary). Does the amount I contribute come off my income? In other words...... If my salary were $210,000 total before taxes or any other deductions, can I take the money I contribute to my 457 off of the $210,000 in order to qualify for the Roth and get below the $198,000 threshold? I hope I explained the question properly. Thanks, Jonathon
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.