Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I used to be a Department of the Army Civilian. I
participated in the Thrift Savings Program, which is
similar to a 401(k), but under the tax laws, is not.
Still, my contributions were tax deferred. I am no
longer a Federal Governement Employee and would like
to roll-over this money to 2 Roth IRAs...right now,
it's about 21K, minus 20% taxes upon roll-over.

Florida is a community property state and I would
like to roll over half to my Roth IRA, half to my
wife's Roth IRA. Neither one of us have any IRA,
but I now contribute to my employer's 401(k) plan.

The kicker is that I work overseas and have a tax
exclusion up to $70K....I will pay some tax this year,
because of extra pay and investments.

Our Goal is to each borrow $10K for a first time house
and borrow more from our mutual fund investments...
What if we buy the house before the 5 year roll-over?
What if we buy the house after the 5 year roll-over?

Thank you for your time.

John D. Kotsay
Operation Joint Guard
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.