Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Without paying much attention, I made my usual contribution to my and my wife's Roth IRAs back in the beginning of 2007.

It wasn't until I was doing my tax return with TT, that it warned me that I made an excessive contribution of $5K to each Roth IRA. This was because I did not meet the earned income test; since we are living on my pension and our Social Security. If I leave it as is, I need to pay a $300 penalty on each Roth IRA (and continue paying each year until I withdraw the $5K).

From what I have come up with so far, I should be able to avoid the penalty if i withdraw the $5K from each account prior to April 15th. However, It also indicates that I will need a 1099R. The 1099R is supposed to have code P and Code J - but will indicate 2008. TT says this can be used for the 2007 return, but I ned to indicate the 1099R is for 2008.

- Does this sound right ?
- If so, assuming I make the withdrawal in a week or so, but do not get the 1099R by April 15th, what happens at that point. I would like to avoid filing amended returns and getting into the headlights.

btw - there is at least $5K in cash in both accounts now.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.