Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have another bizarre international investing question. It popped up while talking with some of my coworkers today.

I know that contributing to a Roth IRA requires earned income. Can that income be foreign?

The scenario that came up was an American bloke, married to a British lass, living and working in England. He works for a US company and qualifies for the 911 Exclusion. She does various jobs, earning money in Pound Sterling and reporting/paying British taxes. They file a joint US return.

Can the American bloke open a Roth IRA for his British lass?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.