Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here's a question for you tax experts out there.

When doing my taxes for 2009 I found that I had hit the income limit where my Roth contribution is getting phased out. So there was an over-contribution of about $2000. I understand that one of my options is to pull this extra contribution out along with the gains made, to avoid paying the 6% penalty on the contribution.

However, the gains on this had been very good this year (thanks HG!) so rather than pull it and the gains out or recharacterize them to Traditional IRA, I'm choosing to just pay the 6% penalty on the over-contribution, and I understand that I can count the $2000 overpayment towards my 2010 IRA contributions.

Since that $2000 of my 2009 contributions will now be assigned to 2010, that means I only contributed around $3000 total to my IRA accounts for 2009.

Now, my question is this then: Can I make an additional $2000 conribution for 2009 to my *traditional* IRA before April 15th? I realize this won't be tax deductible, but it will at least still get the advantage of tax free growth.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.