Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

At the beginning of 2006 my wife and I both made contributions to our Roth IRAs totaling $8000.

At the time there was no way for me to know that we would end up effectively having zero earned income for the year 2006.

I am certain that I must address this, but do not know how to do so. I have tried the IRS website but did not find any answers.

Any tax savvy fools who know what I need to do to correct this? What are the rules, my options?

Note to self: make sure you have minimum earned income of 8000 in 2007 in order to get the benefit of the Roth.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.