Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In 1998 I opened a Roth IRA and contributed $2000.00 to it. I contributed another $2000.00 in 1999. Now I realize that I exceed the AGI limit, so I have Recharacterized the entire balance to a regular IRA. This just happened on April 1, 1999.

The question is, how do I handle this on my 1998 tax forms. Don't I need a 1099 for the recharacterization? Should I be expecting a 1099 from my broker before April 15th? Time is running out, and I'd hate to have to pay the penalty.

How do I report this on my tax forms?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.