Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
With the new 2010 rules coming, I think I have figured out a way to move at least part of a portfolio from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA with little to no risk, and pay about a third less tax.

I'm hoping folks out there can take a look at this and see if I am off base.

The new rules in 2010 allow me to convert as much as I want from a traditional IRA (for example, a rollover from a previous company 401K) to a Roth IRA - as long as I pay the tax on it.

The rules have always allowed "recharacterization" - basically a "do-over", so you can UNconvert a converted Roth IRA back to a traditional IRA in the same tax year and pay no tax.

And there are these interesting ProShares ETFs:
- UltraPro S&P500 (ticker: UPRO) that is leveraged to have a daily goal of 3X the rise of the S&P 500 (so if the S&P gains 1%, this gains 3%),
and it's opposite:
- UltraPro Short S&P 500 (ticker: SPXU) that is leveraged to have a daily goal of -3X the rise of the S&P 500 (so if the S&P loses 1%, this gains 3%)

So if I try to take the conservative portion of my portfolio from traditional to Roth IRA, I would do it like this:

I am creating *two* different Roth IRA Accounts, let's call them "Bull" and "Bear". Let's say I have $20,000 in cash in the Traditional IRA and I want to move $13,000 to the Roth.

1) Convert $10,000 cash from the Traditional IRA into my Roth "Bull" account and put it all into UPRO
2) Convert $10,000 cash from the Traditional IRA into my Roth "Bear" account and put it all into SPXU
3) Wait for the stock market to move 10% (up or down, it doesn't matter) and sell everything in both "Bull" and "Bear" accounts
4a) If the S&P went up 10%, then theoretically I would have $13,000 in "Bull" and $7,000 in "Bear". Now I recharacterize "Bear" back to a Traditional IRA and remove the obligation to pay tax on the conversion of "Bear".
4b) If the S&P went down 10%, then theoretically I would have $13,000 in "Bear" and $7,000 in "Bull". Now I recharacterize "Bull" back to a Traditional IRA and remove the obligation to pay tax on the conversion of "Bull".
5) Now I have $13,000 in a Roth IRA (either "Bull" or "Bear" depending on how the market went) but I only have the obligation to pay tax on $10,000. My remaining $7000 is back in the Traditional IRA it came from.

Among the risks:
- The stock market doesn't move enough over the course of the year to make this worthwhile (seems unlikely)
- Tracking inaccuracies in UPRO/SPXU mean that they are not the exact opposite of one another (possible)
- IRS decides I did a "Wash Sale", although that seems unlikely since they are not identical funds and I think Wash Sale rules only apply in taxable accounts
- I could have done something more productive with the $20,000 (for example, put it in stocks), so I would say I would only do this with the most conservative part of my portfolio.

What do y'all think?

I've thought about doing this with options, but I worry more about them not moving in step with each other...

Usual disclaimers apply... I am not a lawyer, I am not an accountant, I don't work for the IRS, and if you do this, you do it at your own risk...
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.