Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been trying to figure out how to get more into my Roth IRA. My wife and I are fully funding our own Roth IRAs.

I am self employed. I can do a SEP (Simplified Employee Pension Plan). I have no employees, therefore, don't need to also contribute equal amounts for others. I can give up to just a little less than 15% of my Schedule C income into such a vehicle. This vehicle seems to be pretty interchangeable with IRAs, in as much as one can convert his SEP to an problem. I am assuming one can change from IRA to SEP too. Can he??

But the real question is this...can the SEP be set up as a Roth style, or must it always be a traditional IRA style vehicle. That is, can the SEP have Roth characteristics--no deductibility of contributions to the plan, but completely tax free growth??

Thanks for your help.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.