No. of Recommendations: 0
Today while perusing IRS Pub 590, I came across the following statement concerning maximum contributions of Roths coupled with SIMPLEs:

The maximum contribution limit by all contributions (other than employer contributions under SEP or SIMPLE IRA plan) for the year to all IRAs other than Roth IRAs, ...

This year I set up a Roth personally and a SIMPLE at the office. Have I committed a major faux pax (sp?)? Contributions to the SIMPLE are mostly by deduction from paycheck, or in my case as a sole proprietor, a check to TD Waterhouse. The Matching funds are a mere 2% in my case, I haven't sent in that yet.

I guess I am ultimately asking what is meant by "employer contributions"?

Thanks, Susan
Print the post Back To Top
Greetings, Susan, and welcome. You wrote:

Today while perusing IRS Pub 590, I came across the following statement concerning maximum contributions of Roths coupled with SIMPLEs:

The maximum contribution limit by all contributions (other than employer contributions under SEP or SIMPLE IRA plan) for the year to all IRAs other than Roth IRAs, ...

This year I set up a Roth personally and a SIMPLE at the office. Have I committed a major faux pax (sp?)? Contributions to the SIMPLE are mostly by deduction from paycheck, or in my case as a sole proprietor, a check to TD Waterhouse. The Matching funds are a mere 2% in my case, I haven't sent in that yet.

I guess I am ultimately asking what is meant by "employer contributions"?

Fear not, as you have committed no error. You may contribute to your SIMPLE and your Roth IRA at the same time. Employer contributions are those made by the employer on your behalf. Your contributions as the employee are the amounts deducted from your pay check, or in your case from your net self-employed compensation. The employer's contribution that you pay yourself comes before your net compensation is reached (i.e., out of gross income).

Regards..Pixy
Thanks Pixy,
I was having sudden visions of having to cash in my Roth. I may be one of the few to be showing a profit for the year!!!

Plus I can still send a little more into my SIMPLE!

Lots of exclamation points.

Susan