Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am an American living overseas. As such I typically have no US earned income. Recently I spend a year in the US which covered two calender year, gaining US earned income in both years. I maxed out Roth IRA contributions for those two years.

My question is regarding my traditional IRA. I would like to convert it to a Roth in a year when I am overseas. Is it possible to do this piecemeal (i.e. 5K/year)? My understanding is that it will be taxed as earned income in that year, is that correct? If so can I then use that year to add to my Roth as well?

Thanks in advance,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.