Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Roughly how many words on average fit on a normally margined single spaced 12pt type 8.5x11 page?

In the world of fiction (my primary venue) everything is double-spaced, to give the editor's eyes a break and also leave room for editing marks. The standard convention for a single sheet, double-spaced, 12pt type fixed-width font is roughly 250 words per page. This is the standard that the NaNoWriMo folks are using--they have stated that a 50K novel will equal roughly 200 printed pages. What that would work out to in a published book depends on factors like page size, font size, spacing, etc, so don't think that a 200-page novel will be some young reader's paperback.

Since your question was about single-spaced pages, I suppose the answer would be 500 words, but keep in mind I don't know anyone who wants to read single-spaced manuscripts.

Incidentally, word is that publishers won't look at novels less than 70K words or so. This is largely true, but not written in stone. I've seen plenty of short novels, some even written by new authors. Most, however, were written by established authors or else had proven themselves in some other way, like selling very well as a self-published title, for example.

Likewise, it's certainly possible to sell a first novel that is significantly larger, but you had better be a fine author to pull this off.

One more post on my comfort board and then I'll be off the Fool for a month. See you all on the other side.

Don't just sit there; WRITE!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.